Image: Colourful, high quality knitwear from John Smedley Ltd
The latest speaker to be added to the programme for the SDC conference taking place this autumn - Textiles-UK - is Andrew Caughey, the managing director of John Smedley Ltd - a company, with roots in the Derbyshire countryside, known for its high quality knitwear and a 225-year heritage.
Andrew joins the keynote speaker, Malcolm Campbell (of Retail & Textiles Co.), along with a whole host of experts:
- Peter Ackroyd, Campain for Wool
- Peter Duffield, Global Textiles Associates
- Bill Macbeth, Textile Centre for Excellence
- David Lewis, University of Leeds
- Rebecca Sharpe, Australian Wool Innovation.
The conference chair is Eric Musgrave, director general of the UK Fashion & Textile Association. Within the fantastic programme for this event which is taking place, there will be a strong focus on best practice, sustainability and the many benefits of using wool. The future will also be a main focus with the innovations and potential for wool.
For the full programme, visit: http://www.textiles-uk.org.uk/.
Friday, July 9, 2010
The SDC is pleased to announce a brand new event this autumn, co-hosted by the SDC, Dyers' Company and Clothworkers' Company: Textiles-UK. This one-day conference will take place in London on 5 October 2010 and will focus on wool. This event will look at:
- The vital role of the wool industry in the UK, including the impact on the UK economy
- Its technical properties and diversity of uses
- The many benefits of using wool including its role in sustainability and as an environmentally friendly fibre
- The future - the use of technology, the innovations and the potential for wool.
This innovative fibre has been featured highly in 2010, being the focus of the HRH Prince Charles' Wool Project (which was launched at the start of this year) and the theme of the SDC's magazine The Colourist in April (to view this issue, click here). The 'year of wool' will culminate with the SDC's Textiles-UK.
An impressive line-up of speakers will talk about the technical innovations of wool and developments facing the wool industry. Full details available on the event website: http://www.textiles-uk.org.uk/.
The venue for the event is the outstanding Clothworkers' Hall in the City of London, which - following the full day's conference - will be the backdrop for the grand final of the SDC International Design Competition 2010, for which all the country finalists have been chosen and will be announced in the next blog installment.